For a couple years now I’ve tried to limit the number of products I have in my collection at any given time. With the hype that surrounds the beauty community and wanting to have the latest and greatest, I realized that I had a ton of products that weren’t getting the use that they deserved.
I still buy and receive new products to try, but I’m taking a much more conscious effort to stick to the one-in one-out policy so that my products don’t go bad before I can use them up. I’ve done well in the last 4 months since my last empties post and have even knocked some areas down to not having any backups – It’s cleared up much more room in my beauty cabinets!
Because this lot is so huge, I won’t be going through each product that I’ve used up in detail, but I will point out some of the more notable products that I truly loved and would repurchase in the future.
Skincare Product Empties
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish
- Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum (sample)
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (sample)
- Kiehl’s Since 1851 Ultra Facial Cream (sample)
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
- First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser
- Farmacy Skin Dew Hydrating Essence Mist & Setting Spray (sample)
- Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm (sample)
- Tonymoly Pureness 100 Hyaluronic Acid Mask Sheet
- OLAY Fresh Effects Clear Skin See Spot Swipe Oil-Reducing Wet Cloths
- Peter Thomas Roth Acne-Clear Invisible Dots
- Acure Brightening Facial Scrub
I’m super happy with the number of skincare products I was able to finish up in the last 4 months. I’m usually pretty wary of trying new skincare products since my skin is pretty sensitive, but after struggling with dry, unruly skin this fall I was willing to try some new things.
My absolute favorites from the bunch are the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish, which is my new holy grail product for removing makeup at night, and the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, which has been a long-time favorite.
From the newer products I’ve tried, I’ve now added the Drunk Elephant Night Serum, Farmacy Skin Dew and Peter Thomas Roth Acne-Clear Dots to my skincare must-haves. I also plan on repurchasing the Acure Brightening Facial Scrub once I’m out of scrubs because it’s so good and so inexpensive!
Hair Care Empties
- Ogx Quenching Sea Mineral Moisture Shampoo
- Hask Monoi Coconut Oil Nourishing Conditioner
- Bumble and bumble Don’t Blow It (h)air Styler (sample)
- amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
From the hair front, I wasn’t all that impressed. The one item that I would repurchase is the Hask Monoi Coconut Oil conditioner. I love the smell and feel of this conditioner, and it’s super affordable. For drugstore the ingredients aren’t terrible, but this conditioner does have dimethicone which I would prefer to avoid.
- Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils
- Dior Diorshow Mascara in Pro Black (sample)
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mini Mascara
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Compact Makeup in Soft Ivory
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 10 Light
- Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer in Light
- Softlips Lip Protectant with SPF 20
- Carmex Soothing Lip Balm
Makeup is always the most difficult for me to get through. As you might be able to tell, the only items that I use on a consistent basis are mascara and concealer. For concealer I will purchase the Maybelline Fit Me time and again. This is the best concealer I’ve ever tried, plus it’s so inexpensive.
While I absolutely adored the YSL Faux Cils mascara, for the price I’m not certain that I had enough value. The tube was dried up and clumpy after around a month of use, so it’s basically a dollar a day. It’s likely that I will not be repurchasing this mascara even though I did like it.
I absolutely loved both the Chanel and Chloe parfums, and I’m dying to buy the full size of each. I’ve set a goal to finish up my Taylor by Taylor Swift and Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess perfumes, and once I do I can treat myself to one new perfume. It’s going to be a hard decision!
Nail Product Empties
I’m sad to see this Wet n Wild nail polish go, but it was getting too thick to apply smoothly. I love the brush, color, formula and application of this nail polish. However, my nail polish collection is a bit big at the moment, so it will be a while before I pick up any new colors, and when I do I will be looking for 5- or 7-free formulas.
Bath and Body Product Empties
- Bath and Body Works Shower Gel in Violet Lily Sky
- Bath and Body Works Shower Gel in Moonlight Path
- Liz Earle Orange Flower Botanical Body Wash
- EOS Shave Cream in Pomegranate Raspberry
- Yes to Coconut Ultra Light Spray Body Lotion
- Yes to Coconut Protecting Hand & Cuticle Cream
- Zoella Beauty Creamy Madly Dreamy Body Lotion
- Zoella Beauty Double Créme Body Cream
- Not Soap, Radio Liquid Freud Hand & Body Lotion
- Beautycounter Body Butter in Citrus Mimosa
The area that saw the MOST improvement was bath and body products. Outside of makeup, these are the products that I tend to collect. I finally used up all of the body creams and lotions that were hanging around, and I’m very close to finishing out the massive collection of body washes that I had. Very few of these will make the cut when I begin to repurchase bath and body products, as I’m now looking for brands that offer all- or mostly-natural products.
While Beautycounter does fit the bill, I would like to find some more budget-friendly options. I do love the Yes to Coconut hand cream, and will definitely consider that again in the future. Otherwise, this category for me is getting a complete overhaul as I clear out my collection.
Upcoming Post: Tips on Using Up Your Collection
After wasting my hard earned cash for a few years buying products that I knew I would never finish, I really started to notice that I was appreciating things a lot less. Over the last year or two I’ve become much more aware of the items I’m buying and realizing how they fit into my life.
If you’re interested in learning how I’ve cut down on the clutter and started to appreciate my collection more, stay tuned for an upcoming post! I’d like to share my top tips for shopping your collection, and using up products before they go bad. Feel free to leave questions in the comments below or on Twitter @questforcalm, and I will make sure to answer them in my post :)